What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a method of healing that is over 2500 years old. It is practised all over the world but has its roots in the East.
Very fine, sterile needles are inserted into precise points along the channels of the body. The action of the needle stimulates the body’s own healing responses to help restore health.
Treatment focuses on the whole person and not just the presenting symptoms. In good health, the body’s Qi (energy) moves smoothly throughout the body. However, if the channels in the body become blocked the Qi no longer moves smoothly and illness may follow. Acupuncture helps to clear any blockages, expelling disease and restoring the smooth flow of Qi, promoting good health.
What Can Acupuncture Help?
Most people come for acupuncture treatment to help with a specific symptom or condition. These might be recent issues or more long-term problems. The aim of acupuncture is to activate the body’s own healing mechanisms, to alleviate symptoms and restore equilibrium.
Traditional Chinese Medicine aims to treat the whole person rather than specific symptoms in isolation. Listed below are some of the conditions that have been treated in the clinic:
- Circulatory system: hypertension, palpitations, poor circulation
- Digestive system: gastric problems, indigestion and heartburn, IBS, constipation, diarrhoea, malabsorption, diverticulitis, colitis
- Fertility – female: regulate menstruation, improve egg quality, PCOS, endometriosis, painful periods, irregular periods, support IVF and other ART treatments
- Fertility – male: improve levels and quality of sperm
- Mental health: depression, stress, anxiety, panic attacks, anger, mood swings
- Muscles and joints: sciatica, back pain, neck pain, joint pain, plantar fasciitis, fibromyalgia, arthritis, frozen shoulder, whiplash, cervical spondylosis, carpal tunnel, arthritis, rheumatism
- Nervous system: peripheral neuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, headaches, migraines, tinnitus, dizziness
- Pregnancy: nausea, reflux, pelvic pain, sciatica, prenatal and postnatal support for mum and baby, turn breech babies, birth preparation, induce overdue babies
- Respiratory: allergies, hay fever, coughs & colds, bronchitis, postnasal drip, emphysema, asthma, sinusitis, sore throat & tonsillitis, chest infections
- Skin problems: acne, psoriasis, urticaria, eczema, rashes, shingles
- Urinary system: cystitis, irritable bladder, prostate issues
- Women’s health: menopause, night sweats & hot flushes, PCOS, endometriosis, painful periods, irregular periods, PMT
Is your condition not listed? If so, Click here to contact Maureen to see how acupuncture could help you.
Can Acupuncture Help Me?
As you will see from the extensive list shown above (What can acupuncture help?), acupuncture can help to relieve the symptoms of a wide variety of health problems. Because everyone is treated as an individual, there will be a bespoke treatment plan, focusing on treating both the symptoms and the root cause of illness.
Following treatment, patients often find there are other benefits and positive outcomes; increased energy, better quality sleep, reduced stress, and overall improvements in health and wellbeing.
If you would like to find out how acupuncture can help you, Maureen offers free 15 minute consultations, either by phone or by appointment in the clinic.
Click here for contact details.